Subject: Re: lfs_cleanerd is crazy!
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2002 11:29:16
On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 12:00:31AM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> I have a 3.2gb lfs partition full of sources. Today, the disk has started
> to spin. If I umount the partition, it stops, but when remounting it, it

Somewhat Later:
> Sep  9 17:56:53 darkstar lfs_cleanerd[12601]: new coalescing process, pid 12601
> Sep  9 18:07:09 darkstar lfs_cleanerd[12601]: coalesced 47 discontiguous inodes
> [...]

How full is "full"?

lfs_cleanerd will only start coalescing files when it thinks that it is
writing more blocks than it was able to clean (i.e. when cleaning seems to
be a waste of time).  The fuller the disk is, the less efficient
lfs_cleanerd is (roughly speaking), so it will start acting like this when
the partition becomes close to full.  I agree that this is bad behavior,
but alas I don't have a good solution....

						Konrad Schroder
						perseant@hhhh.org