Subject: Re: your mail
To: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/02/2002 22:28:08
On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Gary Thorpe wrote:

> --- Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> > > It seems like a one line change that messes up the
> > > build. I am using this compiler version (1.5.2's):
> > > You are supposed to use /usr/src/build.sh, see the
> > -t option.
> > After building the proper toolchain, use nbmake in
> > the tools directory
> > instead of "make" to build the kernel.
> > > Further details can be found in /usr/src/UPDATING.
> > > Martin
>
> I *AM* using nbmake in
> tools/obj-i386/tools.NetBSD-1.5.2-i386/bin.
> Additionally, I built config using the 1.6-current
> source and used it to get the build tree.
>
> The problem is that the ASSEMBLER cannot compile
> invalid x86 assembly specified an asm statement in the
> C (the problem seems to stem from an extra astericks).
> My question is: is the assembly valid (their is
> something wrong with the assembler I am using) OR is
> the assembly invalid (typo in the code)?

I think all you need to do is to be sure to use the assembler in
$TOOLDIR. First, try using "nbmake-i386", rather than "nbmake".
("nbmake is for native, current-to-current builds). If that doesn't
work, try forcing the issue by prepending
${TOOLDIR}/i386-netbsdelf/bin to your path. If *that* doesn't work,
then it probably wouldn't build for anyone else, either. For what it's
worth, I seem to recall that the former was all that's necessary to
build current up to 1.6E on 1.5.3.

Frederick