Subject: Re: LONG - Re: /rescue, crunchgen'ed?
To: NetBSD-current <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2002 23:00:17
[ On Friday, August 30, 2002 at 15:28:50 (-0700), Bill Studenmund wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: LONG - Re: /rescue, crunchgen'ed?
>
> ?? Do you realize your comments whcih seem to be anti-module are actually
> part of why we want to do it?
>
> Yes, vendors may well NOT want to release source for auth modules. By
> supporting binary modules, they won't have to.

Vendors do not now need to release source to support an all or just
partly static-linked system.  Yes, they do need to release .o files if
they don't want to have users use their own compiled binaries (or even
their own NetBSD binary-only release), but that's just fine by me,
especially for the very tiny percentage of users you say will ever
benefit from such things.

--
								Greg A. Woods