Subject: Re: /rescue, crunchgen'ed?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2002 15:46:05
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:26:46PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> Yes, but it's MUCH LESS FRAGILE with distributed files than it is with
> A Single Binary!

This keeps being repeated, but is it true?  In one crunchgen binary,
there is one copy of the code.  In N files, there are N copies of
(portions of) libc.  And there are some alignment issues, too.  Has
anyone bothered to make a list of the critical binaries in /bin (and
/sbin and their sizes) to compare with the static, crunchgen binary?
Is it really a significant difference?

Personally, I've been bitten by a shared-only system.  Once.  But I'm
still alive today (much to the chagrin of some, I'm sure ;-).

> I've heard it stated that we're trying to avoid having to use a CD or
> floppy-based rescue.

I don't think so, in general.  The /rescue was proposed, I believe, to
answer this "need," but it seems to me it's a nice convenience--not a
need.  If I lose disk blocks or hose myself in some other, basic way,
I'm swearing enough that a little more won't make that much difference.  ;-)

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...