Subject: Re: /rescue, crunchgen'ed?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2002 12:12:44
> I keep the install kernel (the one with the ramdisk) in / for this purpose.
> As long as you can load the kernel you're OK.

I would have thought that would be better than having all the
tools in a '/rescue' directory.  Some of the loaders might even
uncompress it for you (if that path doesn't blow the stavk).

> Now one could create a separate, small partition to keep the ramdisk
> kernel, to be really really safe.

Except is then gets missed off the system archive and when the disk
dies you no longer have it.  Maybe ok for an emergency boot, but not
for the source tree for the encryption routines for the software
licensing code.......

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk