Subject: Re: Multiple RAID1 partions on same disks
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2002 09:12:53
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 08:09:56PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	Would there be any sense in creating two RAID1 partitions across
> 	a pair of disks - one for the system partions and swap and one
> 	for the data?

This makes perfect sense, especially because when you shutdown the
RAID set with the swap partition is left dirty (or at least this used
to be the case).  I have only a relatively small RAID set that gets
re-parity'd on each boot.

> 	The thought is to give two I/O queues, plus the ability to
> 	repartion the data side without touching the system.
>
> 	Would there be any chance it could degrade the performance of
> 	the system?

I'm not sure about the performance bit, but I have separate RAID sets
for each of /, /var, /data and swap.  It's just the way I've done it
since day 1, and I haven't noticed anything pathologically wrong...

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
NetBSD Development, Support and Service:   http://www.wasabisystems.com/