Subject: Re: PAM
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/2002 17:54:57
On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:39:38AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, August 29, 2002 at 11:31:40 (-0400), Jim Wise wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: PAM
> >
> > And here we come to the crux of the matter.  Because _you_ don't plan to
> > use the new features made available by this, you don't think it should
> > be implemented, and you're bound and determined to argue against it.
>
> You are mistaken and it seems you did not read all of what I wrote.  I
> _do_ plan to use all the new locale features.  However I'm not stupid
> enough to try to use them on my SS1 or VAXen or whatever other ancient
> and limited hardware I might find find the desire to resurrect.  I do
> other stupid things on those machines, but I don't need even the NLS
> support I have on them now.  I am smart enough to make those intelligent
> choices about where I can afford the bloat and where I can do better
> things instead, and I am skilled enough to implement those choices
> despite whatever may be done by default in NetBSD to foil my efforts.

And this is from the person who was arguing forcefully that perl
should be a pre-requisite of autoconf on slower machines, such as my
SS1+ which took 3 hours and 10 minutes just to compile perl, and that
any package which patched a configure script should be obliged to go
and compile perl first.  Some people would thus question your claim
that you are "smart enough to make those intelligent choices".

And now back to your regularly-scheduled jihad.

Alistair