Subject: Re: 'prebind' implementation (was Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 15:06:31
On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 07:27:56AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> Just for the record: the technique outlined here is more or less exactly what
> M$ does on Win32 systems (another set of all-dynamic OSes, btw). Many
> application programmer don't do it, but all M$ delivered system binaries
> are prebound just the way Bang describes.

Also, Mac OS X (also all-dynamic) has a prebinding mechanism
(admittedly it's for Mach-O instead of ELF); man pages can be gotten
from: http://www.opendarwin.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/cctools/man/
(and the source code is in e.g. cctools/ld)

Disclaimer: I don't really understand the details of this, but I
thought it might be relevant.

--Jed

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."