Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/28/2002 00:09:53
Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 09:50:04AM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 04:28:18PM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> > >   |         On a fully dynamic i386 system:
> > >   |                 1506    /bin
> > >   |                 1702    /sbin
> > >   |                 1206    /lib
> > >   |                 4804    /rescue
> > >   |                 9218    total
> >
> > Hmm, why is this change being made?  I can see it saving a few MB's of
> > disk space, but I like the statically linked binaries because I feel more
> > "secure" with them in emergencies ;-)
>
> Statically linked binaries are still provided in /rescue. So don't
> be worried.

Yes, in a crunchgen(1)ed format, (IIUC) with all hard links pointing to the
same real file in disk, which, if corrupted with a single bad block, will
prevent any rescue at all without an alternate boot/root device.

Also, why another top level directory?  Isn't /stand historically supposed to
be the placeholder for programs that can be run in a stand-alone mode after
boot?

--
        Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.