Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 22:50:48
[ On Monday, August 26, 2002 at 19:27:59 (-0700), Bill Studenmund wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
>
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >
> > This does seem to make the "dynamic linked binaries are required for
> > locale" seem like a bit hollow an argument?
>
> Have you tried that for say Korean or Japanese or Mandarin?

I think you're spreading F.U.D.  It's just a SMOP to simultaneously link
all available versions of that code in statically together.  Sure it
makes even simple programs suddenly bloat, but that's what y'll get for
wanting to have decent locale support.  TANSTAAFL

Meanwhile even with pre-binding you can still spend a lot of unnecessary
extra time (depending on the user's specific locale settings of course)
trying to find, load, and link in the desired plugin code.

The only thing this silly "plugability" nonsense really gets you is a
feature that's entirely and totally unecessary in any open source system.

--
								Greg A. Woods