Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 16:55:18
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> >> - does ``init'' really need to be internationalized?
> >Maybe, maybe not. But init CERTAINLY can benefit from nsswitch modules and
> >auth modules.
>
> 	/sbin/init does not use any of network-related libraries, nor
> 	auth modules.  i'd like to see /sbin/init be kept statically-linked.
> 	it is special just like ld.elf_so.

It does need auth modules. Think insecure console in a place that uses
securecard passwords (which would need a module to use).

Though one alternative if we decided to go with a static init is to make
an init kit, which included an almost-linked init. The idea being you
configure in your loadable modules, run make, and out comes a new init.

Take care,

Bill