Subject: Re: COPYRIGHT document
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 09:31:36
At Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:40:58 +0000 (UTC), itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >Has this COPYRIGHT document been written yet? If so where can I find it?
> >I've searched the ftp.netbsd.org and the netbsd cvs a bit but could not
> >find it.
>
> 	AFAIK, i don't think there is.  here are a couple of info that
> 	might help:

But in fact they do not, really.

> 	- INSTALL.txt has all advertising clause on 4-clause BSD-like licenses

This may in fact be complete, but I wouldn't bet on it.

> 	- *most* of the files outside of src/gnu are BSD-like license
> 	  (note "most", this rule is not perfect - I'm trying to fix the
> 	  situation)

What is a "BSD-like" license?  I.e., how does it differentiate from a
normal "BSD license."  It's an important question.  8-)

Worse, the BSD license indicates that the license must be included w/
documentation accompanying binary distributions.

I.e., people making a binary distribution of NetBSD e.g. in a product,
_really do_ have to go through and collect all of the information.

(Thinking about it for a few seconds, I wonder if having a global
COPYRIGHT file is even the right thing in any case...  What you really
want is something on a per-directory or per-hierarchy basis, i.e. so
if you trim a bunch of stuff out you don't care about, you also lose
the extraneous notices...  something to think about...)

cgd