Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Cagney <cagney@mac.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 12:25:39
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 12:45:38PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
>   | >  | 	even if /usr/lib/libc.so is a symlink, i think the above is an
>   | >  | 	important point.  think of shlib major bump (in libtermcap or whatever)
>   | >  | 	and old binaries in /usr/pkg/bin.
>   | >this isn't a problem.  i've run a converted system for a while, and
>   | >old applications (with just /usr/lib in the rpath) work ok.
>   | 	i see.  how many libraries do you have in /lib?
>   | 	from Makefile, i guess the followings are in /lib.  it is more than
>   | 	i guessed (i didn't expect to see libcrypto in the list...)
>   | 		libc
>   | 		libdes (= libcrypto)
>   | 		libedit
>   | 		libipsec
>   | 		libkrb
>   | 		libkvm
>   | 		libl
>   | 		libm
>   | 		librmt
>   | 		libtermcap
>   | 		libutil
>   | 		liby
>   | 		libz
>
> My i386 has the following shared libraries in /lib:
> 	libc libcrypt libedit libipsec libkvm libm
> 	libm387 libtermcap libtermlib libutil libz

Why not just be done with it and point /lib -> /usr/lib and /bin ->
/usr/bin?  The only things that really need to be in / are the commands
that are needed to get /usr mounted and there, what comes on the install
CD is a pretty good guide.

As for /recover:

- it isn't used by default so how does anyone even know it works?  At
least a normal boot gets to work out the normal binaries and boot paths.

- remembering to type /recover/init or /recover/sh is going to, er,
confuse people and feel very strange to (umm) unix bigots.

- does ``init'' really need to be internationalized?

Andrew