Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 15:21:55
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Robert Elz wrote:

>   | I actually do think it is possible (well, actually, *anything* is
>   | possible).
>
> Almost anything is possible, a very small subset of that is practical,
> an even smaller subset is reasonable as well.

True. But anything that can be done one way can be done in lots of ways.

>   | What we (I) want is dlopen(), and yet static linked binaries in the root.
>
> The former I understand, your particular justification for the latter
> I don't.

I don't think /rescue is such a brilliant solution as you obviously have
decided it is.
I think that it is a good thing that programs in /bin and /sbin be
runnable with no dependencies on other stuff.
That's my reason, and I've said it a number of times.

> But that doesn't seem to be your argument.   You just don't seem to like
> things to be different than what you're used to.   That's crazy.  Even more
> so when some of the things that you're insisting that you don't want
> (for no reason at all I  have seen) are in fact changes from the way the
> world used to be (not having a /lib is a relatively recent invention,
> libc always used to be there, and all the other important libraries, even
> before static linking was invented).

Eh? Not having a /lib is hardly recent. Or do you consider 20 years ago
recent?
(And I assume you mean "dynamic linking", since static is what we've
always had.)

> You haven't figured out how the dynamic library gets to use the static
> programs variables yet.

Obviously the same way as one dynamic library gets access to anothers.
dlopen() needs to have the symbol table of the static binary symbols.

> Go ahead and implement it.   Once you have it working, and all the
> problems solved, then tell everyone how it was done, and make the code
> available, and if it is good, I suspect it will get adopted.

I've said it before. I'm not volunteering. I have too few hours in the day
as it is, unfortunately.
If you think that makes me unqualified to have an opinion, then I'll be
quiet.

This all started with a request that those who don't want this change be
gived a way of not having it.

	Johnny