Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 22:45:45
On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 02:03:26AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> I don't care to check up on a V7 system right now, but I seem to remember
> that /usr/home was pretty common by then, even if dmr still hang around in
> /usr.

Well, I learned UNIX on SVR2, much later than these, and even then
/usr had home directories in it, though there was some suggestion
to put them elsewhere if you had lots of users or several disks.

> Yes, that is a funny migration, I admit. But already in V7 you had
> /usr/bin, /usr/lib, and so on...

Right, they where the place where programs written by users of the
system were put. Over time, a certain collection became commonplace,
I guess.

--
Dan.