Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 10:30:56
On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 07:36:09PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:24:09PM -0400, William Waites wrote:
>
>  > Correct. What exactly  is the problem with using  dlopen() in a static
>  > binary? That is,  after all, how the current  implementation in citrus
>  > works and we have staticly linked binaries that use it.
>
> For a statically-linked binary to use CITRUS requires that all of the
> multibyte character tables that might be used to be compiled in.  This
> bloats every binary, and makes the upgrade path more difficult.

Have you seen the size of the date conversion routines for some
languages - they are enourmous.  If you have restricted disk
space, being able to select the library for your locale is a
huge gain.
(I had to shrink the java versions to fit a system onto a CF card...)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk