Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2002 02:52:04
I think there is one issue which should be corrected in this proposal.

> The user visible changes of this include:

>     +	/usr/libexec/ld.elf_so is moved to /lib/ld.elf_so.
> 	A compatibility symlink is provided.

I believe this should be /libexec/ld.elf_so rather than /lib
as already pointed out in tech-userlevel.

Because:
1. We use "libexec" for this purpose. Using "lib" breaks consistency.
2. Although currently ld.elf_so is the only program which belongs to
 this directory, that doesn't mean we never have such programs
 (other than ld.elf_so) which should go to /libexec in the future.
 Please remember that we had /usr/libdata in the days when we don't
 have any contents in it yet.
3. Using "/lib/ld.elf_so" doesn't introduce compatiblity with other
 systems. Note that Solaris and Linux uses "/lib/ld.so" rather than
 "/lib/ld.elf_so".
--
soda