Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 18:10:13
On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 06:03:20PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

 > I don't think so.  I have a libdl.so which is used on ELF systems for
 > this very purpose.  Ie. binary linked wih archive libs except for libdl.so
 > which ensures that dlopen is provided.

Actually, linked with archive libs except for libdl.so, which ensures that
the linker will see that the program uses shared libs and thus requires the
dynamic linker.

The dynamic linker still provides all of the guts for dlopen(), libdl.so
just provides stubs.

 > Its still a dynamically linked binary of coures - just not reliant on many
 > shared libs.

...except libdl.so, and if that library is missing at startup, the program
will fail to start.