Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 19:19:52
[ On Monday, August 26, 2002 at 15:00:23 (-0700), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
>
> Complete locale support is a lot more than message catalogs.  It's
> support for character sets in ctype(3).  See the sorts of things that
> are in src/lib/i18n_module.

All I see in there are a bunch of makefiles -- Ah, I guess you really
mean the stuff in src/lib/libc/citrus

Where's the documentation for that implementation?  Are there papers
describing the tradeoffs and reasons for the choices made?

(and why hasn't anyone discussed whatever other options were looked at
and why they were discarded as unworkable, or if it has been discussed
then where is that discussion recorded for public review?)

In any case code is code and it can be loaded any way and at any time
the programmer desires -- dynamic linking is _never_ absolutely
mandatory.  Even if the implementation is naively overloading symbols
then all it would take is a bunch more memory and a jump table to merge
it all together again.

--
								Greg A. Woods