Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 16:58:44
Martin Husemann said:

>I fail to see how replacing the static linked /bin and /sbin with the
>static linked (and crunchgen'd) /rescue (of same functionality) makes
>your root becoming non-functional more likely.

In order to assure unattended booting after a power outage, /rescue/* will
always have to be the first directory searched for commands. Might as well
just make the default path  for everyone be :/rescue/:/sbin:/bin: etc.

In an unattended boot, with bad lib path for /bin/sh, the system will just
go gack.......

One question here:

Why did Solaris change /lib from being a directory to being a link to
/usr/lib?
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com