Subject: Re: Realtek Ethernet sucks!
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 20:55:28
At 12:39 AM 8/27/2002 +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:39:22AM +0300, Laine Stump wrote:
> > I understand that Realtek chips are bad, but are they really *this bad*!
> > What is it in ~1000 interrupts per second that can use up 65% of an Athlon
> > XP 1800+?
>
>When I downloaded a 600MB ISO image via ftp today, interrupt load was
>between 0.5% and 3.0%, at constant transfer speed of ~600KB/s. I have a
>standalone Realtek 8139 NIC and an Athlon XP 1800+ as you have.

That sounds more like it. Even copying each individual byte from one buffer
to another shouldn't take any significant amount of time at 2Mbytes/sec
(which is about the amount of transfers that were taking place).

Since you've seen much different results, I guess I should investigate a
bit more, see if I can figure out exactly what's causing the difference
(I'll try a few other networky operations, and I've got a PCI card Realtek
in my stack of spare parts somewhere too.)