Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 18:40:42
> Please read the thread on tech-userlevel. There are a lot of good reasons
> for doing this, all of which involve now being able to dlopen() libraries.

It ought to be possible to build a dynamically linked program
that does not use the dynamic libc.so  This ought to speed up
program startup (where this is significant) while still allowing
dlopen() to be used in specific functions.

I was going to look at the kernel elf exec code - it would probably
be benefitial for it to keep a reference to the vnode for elf
interpreters (with maybe a sysctl to dump the list for debug).

I've also just make /usr/lib/libc.so.12 a hard link to libc.so.12.86,
this improves my test to 1.520 (or so) - total gain 9%
So removing the symlink is actually a bigger gain...

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk