Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 10:56:37
David Laight said:

>The only problem I see is that a lot of scripts will start running
>significantly slower if the small 'workhorse' programs (ln, rm, chmod,
>test, mkdir, expr etc) become dynamic.

>Some tests I've just done indicate that the time to exec a dynamically
>linked program is about 7 times that of a static one (on i386).

>(the 3.75% improvement I've made is insignificant...)

I can't see any benefit to this at all. Why make NetBSD more complex when
that can only lead to less reliability? The idea of a static /bin is a
revolutionary on that corrects the problems in SunOS4 and Solaris.

All this really does for me is make me not want to update my -current
box until I figure out a way to hack it to rebuild as it is now.

Instead of trying to mutate NetBSD into some hybrid of Linux and Solaris,
why not put more energy into developing SMP for all the platforms that
support it?

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com