Subject: options MTRR and aperture driver
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Wlodarczyk <spam-at-novacons-dot-com@novacons.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 09:25:05
Hello,

While I'm running 1.6_RC1/i386, I think this may affect current
too.

I've been experiencing some silent lockups since moving to the
1.6 branch when running XFree86 4.2 from CVS and using the aperture
driver on a K6-3. The lockup occurs randomly, but at least once a
day. I normally notice it when I'm moving the mouse and it just
stops. No pings, no response from the serial terminal, nothing.

I've removed "options MTRR" and "options PERFCTRS" from the kernel
config and have not seen the problem, but I only did this yesterday.
This is custom config, with all unused GENERIC drivers, options, and
pseudos removed.

While the MTRR support seems limited to providing the system calls
to use those registers, is it possible there's some conflict anyway ?
Or perhaps the K6-3 is part of it ? I don't see the problem unless
I run X. I think I may see this on my Athlon system occasionally, but
I've been tinkering with various BIOS settings, so I'm not so sure.

There haven't been any changes to the hardware in the K6 box for several
years, so I can only think that something in 1.6 is the culprit.

Any comments ?

Thanks.
--
Mike Wlodarczyk