Subject: Re:
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 11:46:33
>> According to hier(7), maybe rescue tools should go in /altroot? Currently, I
>> can see no use for it, afaik...
>
>Actually, hier(7) also has
>
>        /stand/         programs used in a standalone environment
>
>The rescue environment certainly seems standalone to me. And since
>/stand is already there and empty, why was a new directory invented ?

a standalone environment is not for programs that don't run
standalone.  rm and sh (for example) rely on the kernel to be running
in order to function.  the kernel, on the other hand, does not.
neither do the bootblocks.

for a pc, /stand might be used as the place where you put the
necessary programs to boot netbsd from a dos prompt.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|