Subject: Re: HEADS UP: migration to fully dynamic linked "base" system
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Johan Ihren <johani@autonomica.se>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2002 11:27:25
itojun@iijlab.net writes:

> >> 	looks to me that libc will be in /lib/libc.so, and /usr/lib/libc.so
> >> 	will become a symlink to /lib/libc.so.
> >Yes. Latest libc should belongs to /lib with luke's proposal.
> >But older shlibs can be moved from /lib to /usr/lib safely.
> >So, requirement for / partion shouldn't increase.
> >(Rather, it should decrease according to luke's report).
>
> 	so, "make build" will do that "mv /lib/libc.so.major.minor
> 	/usr/lib" for us?  if not, it will be an additional labor for
> 	people.

I agree this would be bad.

Wouldn't it be better (from an ease of maintenance POV) to just leave
all targets in /usr/lib alone and add a new one for /lib/libX.so
(i.e. stuff in /lib will have a separate copy in /usr/lib).

After all the point of this exercise is to save space in /, not adding
complexity in maintenance of /usr/lib.

Johan