Subject: Re: UltraDMA problems under 1.6F (probably hardware)
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/22/2002 10:20:32
> So I messed around with this last night (it is a M5229 BTW).  Changing
>
> 	drvp->n_dmaerrs = NERRS_MAX-1;
>
> in ata.c to
>
> 	drvp->n_dmaerrs = NERRS_MAX-2;
>
> And my disk runs quite happily in UDMA-2 mode.

And it turns out that all the above is rubbish, and I wasn't seeing this
happen at all.  It all comes of looking for the symptom in the logs -- I
was looking for the downgrade message and not seeing that, so assumed that
everything was fine.  What I'd forgotten was that I'd build a kernel with
DMA entirely disabled for wd0 (part of tracking down a different problem)
and I'd forgotten to revert the change -- so it was coming up in PIO mode
4 in the first place, and it certainly wasn't going to downgrade from
there.

So I'm still stuck with a UDMA-5 disk and a UDMA-2 controller that can't
agree on running above UDMA-1.

R.