Subject: Re: Upgrade from 1.5.x to -current on alpha
To: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2002 14:53:21
In message <20020819060256.GA5102@mail.er-grp.com>, you write:

-> On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
-> > On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Rick Kelly wrote:
-> > > I've been exclusively using DESTDIR=/ since 1994. Works fine foe me.
-> >
-> > "Me too!" (well, maybe not since 1994, but since NetBSD 0.9, whenever
-> > that was) It seems like people are focusing too much on whether
-> > DESTDIR=/ is a good idea or not, and less on the original problem...
-> > which is: Why did installing a new libc cause old binaries to core dump?
-> > That is definitely _not_ expected behavior, despite some claims to the
-> > contrary.
->
-> FYI: Same thing on Alpha 1.5.2 -> 1.6F. I decided to do a wild DESTDIR on /
-> and ended up with a screwed up libc, crt0 and had everything dumping core.
-> Untarred 1.5.2 distribution sets on top of that mess and had a system which
-> almost worked but crashed on linker problems during a new build of the
-> toolchain.
->
-> This wasn't a big deal as I was just experimenting and after a fresh 1.5.2
-> install and a DESTDIR != / build I'm happily running 1.6F + Xfree 4.1.

I wonder whether this is the same "new libs require new ld.so" issue I and
several other people had on MIPS (and at least one other platform that I
can't recall right now).  The issue there was that the old ld.so had bugs
that were tickled by libraries built against the new crtstuff.  Updating
ld.so first and then rebuilding the world made things better, IIRC.

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill