Subject: Re: problem starting X: Could not mmap /dev/vga
To: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2002 08:47:01
On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, John F. Woods wrote:

> When I try starting up X on my 1.6E system, I get the following failure:
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)
>
> I got that message when trying to reuse my old XF86Config file, as well
> as when trying to create a new one with X -configure.
>
> Sure enough, I don't have a /dev/vga, and /dev/MAKEDEV does not know how
> to create one.  So, what do I need to do to get this working?
>
> I have wscons enabled in my kernel config, and the relevant dmesg lines
> at boot time are:

You need "options INSECURE", or else use the aperture driver:

  http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/NetBSD7.html#18
  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/faq.html#x_needs_insecure_kernel

There's a package for the aperture driver that fixes a bug regarding
k6 mtrr's. On 1.6.E, it's better to let the kernel set mtrr's instead
of the aperture driver anyhow (so use "options INSECURE").

Frederick