Subject: Re: UltraDMA problems under 1.6F (probably hardware)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/15/2002 01:17:58
--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 08:01:33AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> That didn't happen on my old (now dead) motherboard, where I had the
> disks plugged in identically to the way they are now. I believe
> that was a Via UDMA 100 controller (I'm sure the {north,south}bridge
> chips were Via, and that it was UDMA 100; I'm not sure that it
> wasn't an off-chip IDE controller, but I doubt that), ...

That chip was a Via VT82C686B, and it is UDMA100. pciide(4) doesn't
claim to support this chip, so either the documentation's out of
date or the chip was being recognized as a VT82C686A. (As it's no
longer possible for me to boot off that motherboard, I couldn't tell
you.)

With that chip, this drive ran at Ultra/100 with no problems.

With an Acer labs M5229 controller, it's impossible to use DMA or
Ultra-DMA of any sort with this Maxtor 4G160J8.

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU