Subject: Re: UltraDMA problems under 1.6F (probably hardware)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/14/2002 07:46:37
--OaZoDhBhXzo6bW1J

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 01:36:40PM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> In my mail/NAT machine, I have:
>=20
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Acer Labs M5229 UDMA IDE Controller (r=
ev. 0xc
> 1)

How far back does yours degrade? I lose not just all UDMA but all
DMA too.

> That gives me one error and a downgrade message after boot, and after that
> it remains perfectly happy, so I've never investigated this.

Huh.

Does it also make your machine hang for several seconds on any
sustained I/O? (My mouse cursor freezes on-screen in X, audio
playback skips... I haven't flooding it with network traffic of
any sort, but I bet it even drops UDP and ICMP packets and has a
gloriously high service time on TCP packets.)

Is this reasonable to expect when I've got an IDE drive that's not
doing DMA at all? (I've never had one in that state before.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--OaZoDhBhXzo6bW1J