Subject: Re: Problems with 1.6_Beta5 install on i386 / Thinkpad 770
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2002 17:41:35
> At the moment, sysinst calculates a "default swap partition size"
> based on the amount of RAM in the system.

Yes - was 4 x RAM when I did mine.  Seriously OTT these days.
Especially when it becomes a significant fraction of the disk size.
An initial install could easily be into a 2Gb disk partition on a system
that has 512Mb of memory.

> There's been discussions to do one of the following (in increasing
> order of effort in changing sysinst):
> 	+ leave as is
> 	+ leave as is, except clamp the max swap size to 64MB (for example)
> 	+ don't bother adding swap size
> 	+ allow user to specify size of swap, even in "non custom" configs,
> 	  defaulting to RAM size. (this would require extra menus in
> 	  sysinst.

I would rather the 'custom' install offer you what the 'default'
would be as a starting point  (IIRC it gave you a blank sheet.)
That way you at least have a starting point for the edits.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk