Subject: Re: Problems with 1.6_Beta5 install on i386 / Thinkpad 770
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2002 00:14:47
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> >    memory, and an additional 60 MB for X; clearly, my 1.3 GB disk should be
> >    plenty big.
>
> Yes. You can fit it all in less than 200MB.

It's not clear to me why sysinst seems to think 950 MB or so are required
for the standard install, and why 1.2GB or more is required for std+X -- but
that's what sysinst reports.  I'm using bootlap1.fs and bootlap2.fs

After the "standard" install, with everything defaulted, I was able to
boot from a rescue-tiny.fs floppy.  It showed that 22,179 1K blocks
were used for / and 120,244 1K Blocks for /usr

> >    Then, when I try to reboot, apparently the bootloader didn't properly
> >    write the bootblocks (I told sysinst that this disk was dedicated for
> >    NetBSD), so the Thinkpad 770 asks for me to shove in a floppy to boot. (!)
>
> It seems to have missed a step. Can you boot you hard disk from a floppy?

I was able to boot a rescue-tiny.fs diskette, and to mount /dev/wd0a on /mnt
and /dev/wd0e on /mnt2.  Things there seemed reasonable.

Then I tried rebooting from the floppy, and interrupted the boot sequence
to see if I could boot directly from the hd.  I typed in:

> boot wd0a:netbsd

It said:

booting wd0a:netbsd
open wd0a:nebsd: Device not configured
boot: wd0a:nebsd: Device not configured

So it looks like sysinst didn't do something.

Thanks!  -Mike