Subject: Re: lpd and burst headers
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2002 09:23:39
On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 04:41:28PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
  | In message <20020807233124.B9395@marie>, Ignatios Souvatzis writes:
  | >On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:43:18PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
  | >> When I print to a local laser printer from NetBSD, it includes the
  | >> contents of the "control file", lines like "Pseebs" and "Jmotd".
  | >> The printer interprets these as meaning that I want a burst page.
  | >> When I use lprng under BSD/OS, the printer apparently just gets the
  | >> data, not the control file.
  | >> Is there something obvious I can do to suppress these extra pages?
  | >
  | >:sh: in /etc/printcap's entry for your printer. See printcap(5).
  |
  | No, I have that.
  |
  | All that does is keep lpr from generating an explicit burst page.  In this
  | case, lpr isn't sending a burst page, just the information that the printer
  | uses to make one.

Are you using a network connected (possibly HP) printer?  If not, the rest
of this post probably won't be relevant to you.

Are you using the 'lpd' server on your printer?  If so, telnet to the
printer and see if there's an option to disable the banner page.
(Older HP JetDirect cards used to always print the banner, and you had
to update the firmware to obtain the ability to disable the banner).

With the LPRng setup, it's possible that LPRng is using the 'jetadmin' (?)
method instead of lpd, which is to send the data to port 9100 on the printer.
HP's (even with old firmware) don't generate the banner in that case.

I've found that older HP JetDirect cards have a crap lpd
implementation (e.g, "lpq" on the client hangs whilst a job is in
progress), and I prefer to funnel all my jobs through a single UNIX
lpd server and have that server send jobs to the print with something
like:

	lj4mp|lp|lj4|lj4m|HP LaserJet 4M plus:\
		:rm=THE-PRINT-SERVER-HOST:\
		:lp=9100@THE-PRINTER:\
		:sd=/var/spool/output/lj4mp:\
		:lf=/var/spool/output/lj4mp/log:\
		:if=/usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/ljet4m-filter:\
		:mx#0:sh:

(I share that printcap entry on all the systems)

Luke.