Subject: Re: Problems with 1.6_Beta5 install on i386 / Thinkpad 770
To: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/07/2002 11:54:12
On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Mike Cheponis wrote:

# 3) When sysinst asks me for standard/standard+X/Custom/use existing  the
#    numbers suggested seem outrageous, something like 950MB required for
#    standard, and around 1,250 MB for standard+X (!!!).  In fact, when I
#    choose "standard+X" sysinst complains that my disk is too small.
#
#    Yet, the install document says that 70M + N MB is required, N is amt of
#    memory, and an additional 60 MB for X; clearly, my 1.3 GB disk should be
#    plenty big.
#
#
# 4) So I choose "standard" and use all the defaults.  (Which seem strange to
#    me, especially the 500 MB / partition).  Disk name is mydisk, and I
#    install all the stuff (and it gives me X even though I previously
#    said only "standard" to the disklabel question).
#
#    Then, when I try to reboot, apparently the bootloader didn't properly
#    write the bootblocks (I told sysinst that this disk was dedicated for
#    NetBSD), so the Thinkpad 770 asks for me to shove in a floppy to boot. (!)
#
# What am I doing wrong?

You're depending on a "standard" install to do The Right Thing; if "/" does
not encompass "/usr", then 500MB for a root partition is WAY out of line;
even given /usr, I'd say that 250MB is sufficient (as a clue, root and
/usr on my system total less than 140MB, and /usr/X11 (rather populated,
by the way) only consumes an additional 370MB).

Save yourself the grief and do a Custom install -- that way you can
partition your disk in ways that make sense.

[I don't care HOW big/fast/cheap disks are.  I'm still able to recover
more quickly when I have my disks partitioned.  The "elevator algorithm"
should be able to compensate for partitioning, IMO.]

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Get Over It.