Subject: Shared library selection bug in -current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@catch.no>
List: current-users
Date: 08/06/2002 08:36:04
I've recently had occasion to figure out a weird problem with the way
shared libraries are selected for use under -current.  An application
(AOLserver) started dumping core after I updated to a new -current a
couple of weeks ago, and after a bit of digging I suddenly noticed
that the core dumps indicated it was loaded with an old libc.so.  The
full name of the library gave me pause: "libc.so.12.62.1".  Three
numbers after the ".so."?

There seems to have been a (probably short) time when -current would
build with that file name being used for libc.so, and on machines that
have that one installed, the code that selects which library to load
will then prefer it over newer ones (in my case, "libc.so.12.85").  In
fact, I'd been running various versions of libc between those two,
none of which have probably ever been used, so I'm surprised I haven't
had more problems.

Was the "12.62.1" version number just a temporary glitch that will
never occur again, though, or is there a problem that I ought to file
a proper bug report for?  What will happen when we get to "12.100"?

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"