Subject: Re: IEEE1394 (firewire) vs USB2
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/02/2002 19:49:15
Greywolf said:

>SCSI's additional components do not justify THAT much of a price
>difference.  They charge that much more because They Can [TM].

But SCSI drives usually last longer, and you can actually have multiple
drives on a controller.

I have one i386 box with an IDE drive and a CD/RW. So, even though there
are 4 IDE connectors, I have effectively used up all the IDE connections.

># USB2 drives should work with USB1.  That's a plus.  Firewire
># is only 40MB/sec (slow SCSI).  USB2 is theoretically a little
># faster. Does having a USB1 device kick that down to "slow
># mode"?

Are there any USB 1/2 hard drives that work with NetBSD?

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com