Subject: wrong vsizes reported in ps and top
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
List: current-users
Date: 07/27/2002 16:46:40
Hi,

ps and top still show wrong sizes for the virtual address space used.
it returns the sum of the fields in vmspace (tsize, dsize, ssize)
and these anly acount for the original mapped executable and anon mem
but not for any mmap
wouldn't it be right to use the the size field in vm_map
OK, 32mb of stack space on i386 look strange first but nevertheless
this would be technicaly more correct.
All the *BSD systems have this vmspace struct with the comment
/*
 * Shareable process virtual address space.
 * May eventually be merged with vm_map.
 * Several fields are temporary (text, data stuff).
 */
and no one has got rid of it.
I can remember that I have read this comment in 1996 in the FreeBSD
kernel source...

Lars

--
Mystische Erklärungen.
Die mystischen Erklärungen gelten für tief;