Subject: Re: How to create an install floppy?
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2002 02:23:54
On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 03:13:18PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
  | Hello
  |
  | I need to use boot-small.fs to be able to install NetBSD on a 386sx
  | 20mhz 8mb ram. (no, boot1/2.fs won't work).
  |
  | The thing is that I want to do a network install, but the card is not
  | properly recognized by the kernel (wrong IRQ). I need to change the ne
  | interface to 0x300 irq 5. I also need to install serial bootblocks to
  | the floppy disk, to install trough a serial console.
  |
  | The problem is that I do not know how to create these floppies. I'm
  | looking in distrib/i386/floppies/bootfloppy-small, and I try "make",
  | but I get:
  |
  | $ make
  | make: don't know how to make /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/kernel-ramdisk/netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz. Stop
  |
  | make: stopped in /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/bootfloppy-small
  |
  | What else do I need to do to create the floppy properly? (I'll edit the
  | Makefile to work as I want when I get this working).

bootfloppy-small needs netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz, which is built from
the INSTALL_SMALL/netbsd kernel that is mdsetimage-ed with the ramdisk
from ramdisk-small.

Try something like this:
	cd /usr/src/etc
	make snap_kern
	cd /usr/src/distrib/i386/floppies/ramdisk-small
	make
	cd ../kernel-ramdisk
	make netbsd.INSTALL_SMALL.gz
	cd ../bootfloppy-small
	make

This could be cleaned up (especially the snap_kern stuff).  I hope to
be able to work on this after the 1.6 release.

  | BTW, I tried the installation until the sets point, but it fails. When
  | running the disklabel, it bits in openpty()...

No idea on this.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com