Subject: stability problems involving suspend/resume and pcmcia card?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/16/2002 09:28:27
I'm running 1.6 beta 4, and I've had several crashes in the last two
days involving some combination of pcmcia insertion and removal,
coupled with suspend/resume.  I haven't quite characterized exactly
what causes it -- as will be seen below, my forgetfulness may be one of
the triggers -- but it's quite clear that something is happening.

The card in question is a Lucent 802.11 card.  In some cases, what has
happened is that I suspended the machine with the card in, removed it
to put the machine into my backpack, and resumed *without* reinserting.
I get some annoying messages, and trying reinserting the card, which
used to work -- and the machine crashes.  I think.

This morning, I stopped dhclient (but not ntpd), ifconfig'ed the card
down, and removed it.  When I typed 'zzz', the machine hung.

Has anyone else seen things like this?  My machine is a Thinkpad T21;
my /etc/apm/suspend tries to ifconfig down all interfaces it knows of.

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)