Subject: Re: -pipe significantly boosts up kernel compile speed
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2002 17:06:10
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:18:20PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> > Did you use a mfs-based $TMPDIR for your tests ?
>
> No, but it's less convenient and less flexible method.

Putting TMPDIR=/tmp in one's environment does not seem so inconvenient
to me. I'd like to see a comparision of -pipe versus an mfs file system
before chosing one default over another. Also memory use comparisons; I
have a suspicion that the TMPDIR method might use less memory.

(I looked at all of this a few years back and chose the TMPDIR method,
but I'm darned if I can remember why, now.)

cjs