Subject: Re: -pipe significantly boosts up kernel compile speed
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/05/2002 04:23:04
On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:26:09PM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <20020704200714.A3140@krishna>
> junyoung@mogua.com wrote:
>
> > Without -pipe:	  5:55
> > With -pipe:	  4:09
> >
> > Builds were performed on an Athlon XP 1700 machine.

That has 256MB of memory.

> I think you should also check it really faster even on slower
> (and less memory) machines. Modern machines are always fast anyway :-)

I have just tested with a plain old Pentium 166 machine that has
64MB of memory:

		GENERIC
With -pipe:	  45:36
Without -pipe:	1:13:48

Obviously, -pipe was effective on a slow machine as well.

One thing interesting here is, with -pipe swap size grew up to 10MB
during build, while without -pipe no swapping occurred.

> > I wish it to become default for -current. Any comments?
>
> Maybe we should change gcc first to use /tmp (which could be MFS).
> Current gcc uses /var/tmp for TMP_DIR, and it could cause
> the difference.

Why don't you just mount /var/tmp as MFS?

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@mogua.com>