Subject: Re: java native on NetBSD?
To: Michael Core <520079546242-0001@t-online.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/2002 10:53:51
This still begs the question for the Alpha architecture.

There are distinct advantages to running native:
* emulation is slower
* emulation requires the COMPAT_* options in the kernel, adding size
* a natively compiled binary ensures runnability on more than just those
	platforms for which COMPAT_* options exist
* even with emulation, there are certain things we cannot emulate
	perfectly (at the moment, threading is one of them; IIANM, we
	stub the thread routines, or something similar.  ICBM.)

Not to mention, I'm a paranoid sysadmin.  I don't trust precompiled
pkgs (partially because they insist on using /usr/pkg which I don't
want on my system, and partially out of best practices).  Build the
world!  I'll wait.