Subject: stubborn printer
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2002 13:11:40
     I've had some persistent printing problems with one system that has
a bunch of serial printers.  I upgraded the lpr/lpd subsystem to the latest
code from -current as of about a week ago.  Most problems seem to have
disappear, but one printer is still being stubborn.  Sometimes an lpc restart
will get it going again, but today it just stopped and didn't want to start
again.  A pstat -t showed

tty02    0   0 1024 1248 256       8 OCBAX         0     0 term

even after I removed all the jobs and did an lpc restart.  The jobs finally
disappeared after a reboot (I'm trying to get confirmation of whether they
printed, or simply disappeared.  The printcap entry looks like:

pr1:        :br#9600:lp=/dev/tty02:mx#0:        :if=/var/spool/lpd/pr1/pr1_filter:        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/pr1:sf:sh:

The filter is really simple:

#!/bin/sh

# turn on condensed mode
printf "\033\017"

# print document
cat

# reset to 10cpi draft
printf "\022"

# hope everything went okay
exit 0

Does anybody have any suggestions of what to try next?