Subject: Re: Curious SYNOPSIS in signal(3)
To: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2002 11:27:44
Martin Weber wrote:
> The information is not hidden, it is there. In the typedef. So you should
> say "Show me a student that wants to have an easily readable form of the
> function" and the picture changes. *I* personally don't care as I find lisp
> much easier to read :p No seriously, the information is not hidden, and
> using typedefs leaves your own functions which accept or return function-
> pointers much clearer _imo_.

Indeed, I find the form using typedef easier to parse, too. It's much
more obvious that the returned value is pointer to a function.

Also, there is another issue - the .Fn mdoc macro doesn't handle
functions returning pointer to function quite well, that's why there
is the incorrect definition in the signal(3) manpage.
Using typedef sidesteps this problem.

I'm going to update the manpage to use typedef.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org> http://www.NetBSD.org/Ports/i386/ps2.html