Subject: Re: rc.local and rcorder(8)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2002 15:24:58
[ On Tuesday, June 25, 2002 at 13:02:25 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rc.local and rcorder(8)
>
> At the time that the rc.d startup method, rc.local was going to be left
> outside of the scheme. That is, it was going to be sourced as the last
> thing in /etc/rc. That way, one could have a place to start up daemons
> that rely on the system being up completely in multiuser mode. However,
> rc.local now seems to started in some random way since NetBSD 1.5.

It's not random at all -- it is controlled by rcorder(8) in the same way
all the other rc.d scripts are controlled -- i.e. it is simply run by
/etc/rc.d/local, which contains appropriate REQUIRE:, PROVIDE:, BEFORE:,
and KEYWORD:, comments for use by rcorder(8) to determine the
inter-script dependencies.  Read the comment at the top of the
distributed copy of /etc/rc.local.  (I guess that comment could do with
a little less stress on the "last" bit though.)

--
								Greg A. Woods