Subject: Re: NetBSD vs PPPOE
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/25/2002 18:49:18
On 25.06.02, 15:59:47, Ossi Herrala wrote:

> And for PPPoE you need fast machine. My friend have 10/10Mbps DSL
                                                      ^^
Does this 10 actually mean 10Mbps DSL? Wow, that's fast.

> connection with PPPoE and 120MHz Pentium doing routing and it isn't fast
> enough (it's linux.. ;).

For 768kbps T-DSL in Germany, a 66MHz Cyrix 486DL was fast enough
(using about 55% at full throughput). And that was with the
userland-daemon running asynchronous. (Synchronous would have used a
lot less, but might have suffered from a race condition. I never
bothered to find out.)

Now with a Pentium-166 it's only around 8% with the same
setup. Nevertheless I will upgrade to 1.6 and use in-kernel pppoe once
it becomes available.

--
Bernd Sieker

Anagrams for NetBSD-core: