Subject: Re: xdm: xfree 4.2 lossage, or pilot error?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2002 13:33:03
--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:05:38PM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> In this setup, xdm dies horribly. Every time it tries to talk to the
> Xserver, the xdm process dies shortly before painting the login
> widget.  xdm exits, so the parent xdm starts a new one.  wscons is
> unsuable; only way out is to reboot into single-user and disable xdm
> altogether.

I had this behavior when I upgraded to XF86 4.2.0 as well.

I found that changing this line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources:

XConsole.text.geometry:       480x130

to:

XConsole.text.geometry:       480x130-0-0

made things behave.

Regardless, xdm(1)'s behavior when confronted with this failure mode
is truly aberrant and should probably be changed. (But it sounds
like it's the X consortium's fault, not ours.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk