Subject: xdm: xfree 4.2 lossage, or pilot error?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 06/20/2002 13:05:38
I have yesterday's i386 snapshot of 1.6, sans X, and a ~2-week-old X
snapshot from 1.6. tarballs installed via untar. I merged my own
rc.conf into the new /etc. My rc.conf enables xdm.

In this setup, xdm dies horribly. Every time it tries to talk to the
Xserver, the xdm process dies shortly before painting the login
widget.  xdm exits, so the parent xdm starts a new one.  wscons is
unsuable; only way out is to reboot into single-user and disable xdm
altogether.

Looking through the xdm error file indicates that a GetGeometry
request is failing with a bad window id.  I happened to try xdm on
some FreeBSD systems down the hall running the XFree86.org 4.2; exact
same thing happens.

Is this CFIT on my part, or generic *BSD lossage for XDM in recent XFree86
releases?  If the latter, do we still support xdm for the 1.6 release?