Subject: Re: Frozen system with NetBSD 1.6_BETA1
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 06/17/2002 11:43:39
Not sure it is related, but I have little time to investigate now
(need to catch a plane). I've seen two freezes on our server, one with
1.6_BETA1 and one with 1.6_BETA2. Similar symptons: ping-able, virtual
screen switching worked, but nothing else. I had a `top' running at
one of the virtual screens and it showed that all (AFAICS) user
processes where in state `pager_ma'.

I suspected my 2 mfs filesystems (on /tmp and alike) might be involved as
the latest syslog entries before the freeze reported filesystem full
on them. I removed the mfs fs (with UBC not much use anymore anyway)
and hope that fixes it for now.

In our case, the freezes do not corrolate with heavier than average
filesystem activity AFAICS: generating very heavy filesystem I/O does
not reproduce the problem. Also, SOFTDEP is in my kernel but I have
no filesystems mounted using softdep.

Hope this helps the hardcore bug finders a bit,

Feico.